TAKING CARE OF YOUR CARPET
Cleaning your carpet is easier than you think. All it takes is the right vacuum, cleaning products, and a little know-how. Here are a few tips on removing common stains the right way:
- Always treat the affected area immediately. The longer the spill sits there, the harder it’ll be to remove the stain.
- For a food spill, gently remove as much solid material as you can with a spoon, or a dull knife. Add water and blot, using detergent sparingly if needed. Then, using the highest suction function, vacuum back and forth, adding more water to the stain as you go until completely clean.
- If you need a spot removal solvent, use a Spot Remover or another product approved by The Carpet and Rug Institute of America. Apply several drops to a clean white cloth and blot the carpet in an inconspicuous area. If you notice a change in the carpet color, consult a professional carpet cleaner.
- If stains remain after cleaning, moisten tufts in the stained area with 3% hydrogen peroxide and let stand for one hour. Blot and repeat until completely clean.
KEEPING YOUR CARPET BEAUTIFUL
Follow these simple tips to keep your carpet’s color and texture looking fresh.
- Vacuum your carpet regularly to prevent soil from embedding itself in the pile.
- Depending on the type of carpet you have, you’ll want to use a vacuum with a rotating brush, a beater bar, or suction only.
- Keeping traffic and other use factors in mind, consider professional cleaning every 12 to 18 months.
- Use scissors to clip sprouts and snags. Don’t pull on them—you might damage the carpet.
- If your carpet is burned, simply remove the tops of the dark, burnt fibers with curved fingernail scissors. If the burn is extensive, you may need to patch or replace it.
- Remove heavy furniture dents by stroking the dented area with the edge of a coin. You can also use a hair dryer or a steam iron, but be very careful not to touch the carpet with the iron.
- For extensive water damage, consult professional cleaners to dry your carpet from the front and back.
TIPS FOR SOFT CARPET
- Adjustable Height – Use the highest setting where appropriate.
- Efficient Airflow – Avoid vacuums with very concentrated or sealed suction.
- Large Wheels – A vacuum with large wheels is easier to move across soft carpeting.